The Brethren Court is a confederation of pirates on The Legend of Pirates Online made up of the Pirate Lords, which serves as the governing body of pirates across the world. They are led by the Pirate King, Richard Cannonwalker.
After the end of the 8th Brethren Court and PotCO on September 19, 1746 (2013), pirate roleplay as a whole stopped and became dormant. While the British roleplayers remained together and organized, many members of the 8th Court moved on to other things. There was nothing more than a few whispers of creating any kind of pirate organizations for the two and a half years that followed PotCO's closure.
In the January and February of 1749 (2016), news arose of another Brethren Court being made by a man named Lawrence Ironhawk. Richard Cannonwalker, the King of the 8th Court, was initially willing to "pass the torch" along to this new Brethren Court and take a step back from pirate roleplaying. However, after hearing of this new Court's non-aggression pact with the British, he decided that they would be an inadequate successor to the legacy of the Brethren Courts.
Throughout the month of March, Cannonwalker recruited and made plans for the creation of the 9th Brethren Court. By the end of the month, he had six lords total. After he finished recruiting, Cannonwalker held a vote between the lords to decide who would become Pirate King; he won this vote, becoming the first ever two-time Pirate King. Cannonwalker and his newly-appointed Keeper of the Code, Finn Hamm, issued a new Pirate Code for this Court to follow as well.
On April 1, the 9th Brethren Court's existence was officially announced to the world. However, Ned Edgewalker would resign from the Court a few days later, leaving the Binder of the Seven Seas position vacant. On the same day, Harleen Spark would publicly announce her membership in the Court as a Lord. By May 12, after talks with Lawrence Ironhawk, the leader of another group calling themselves the 9th Brethren Court, the two Courts had come to an agreement to merge. Certain lords from each Court were demoted and other agreements were put in place.
By June 9, Sultan Mahmud I gifted the entire Ottoman Empire to Pirate King Cannonwalker, causing controversy within the rest of the roleplay community and talks of a British-supported coup d'etat. These ultimately subsided and, after considering the circumstances, on October 6, Cannonwalker appointed Pirate Lord Finn Hamm to lead the Ottoman Empire as a vassal state of the Brethren Court.
By December 9, after a few months of inactivity within the Court, TLOPO finally released semi-open beta. The Outlanders is created the same day to serve as the Court's main guild. The guild quickly swelled in numbers and eventually recruited the Empress of Austria, Hannah Bluefeather, and the newly-crowned King of the Netherlands, Leonhard Bosch, who both defected from Britain. On December 16, the Netherlands gifted the Court all of their Caribbean possessions, and Russia gifted the Court a couple of port towns in the Mediterranean Sea.
As time went on, interest in TLOPO within the Brethren Court began to dwindle. Activity peaked in late December leading into the new year due to TLOPO's double xp event, but lords began playing less and less frequently on the game due to its buggy nature. Activity within The Outlanders dropped considerably, and the Court went into a decline.
After a brief resurgence, in June, The Outlanders once again went into decline due to Cannonwalker's internet going out. The Court eventually voted to exit land-based roleplay, and entrusted their land with Finn Hamm, who resigned from the Court in order to stay in said roleplay. In October, Cannonwalker's internet returned and The Outlanders begun another resurgence, swelling up in members and activity almost overnight.
The Pirate Code
The code that all members of the Brethren Court must follow, lest they risk being branded a "rogue pirate."
Article I: General Lord Conduct
- Lords must swear utmost allegiance to the Court and cannot be serving (peacefully or violently) any other country or faction (formally or informally) without express permission from the Pirate King.
- Lords must remain active; if one goes inactive for a month or longer, they will be replaced.
- Lords cannot cause unnecessary trouble with other groups or people, inside or outside of the Court.
Article II: The Pirate King
- The King is the Guildmaster of the main Brethren Court guild; he may admit other guilds to serve the Court, but his will be the central one around which all the others revolve.
- The King has the power to appoint a Pirate Baron, a Keeper of the Code, and any other position he may come up with; the King may also remove said people from power if he so chooses.
- The King may appoint any amount of Pirate Lords he chooses; this may be challenged by any current-sitting Lord, but an attempt to keep a new Lord out must be passed with a 2/3rds majority of all Lords, including the King themselves.
- The King will have sole jurisdiction over the fates of Pirate Lords deemed to be “inactive.”
- The King will have sole jurisdiction over any territories conquered by, or on behalf of, the Brethren Court.
- The King will have sole jurisdiction over the foreign affairs of the Brethren Court.
- The King may be removed from power if 3/4ths of all sitting Lords (not including the King) vote to have a new Pirate King election; the current-sitting King may run in said election, however.
- In the event a Baron or Keeper steps down or is removed from their position for whatever reason, the King should appoint a new Baron/Keeper they find to be fit for the job within a reasonable amount of time.
Article III: Pirate Baron
- The Pirate Baron is second-in-command of the Court and will assume the role of Pirate King (either temporarily or permanently) should the current King resign, be impeached, or be otherwise unable to do their job.
- When the King is on active duty, the Baron shall serve as their main advisor.
Article IV: The Keeper of the Code
- The Keeper will cooperate with the King in order to target problematic Court members and remove them from the Court.
- The Keeper may accuse a Pirate Lord of acting against the Code at any time, after which the following will occur:
- The Keeper shall build a case against the accused.
- The Pirate King and Baron will consider the case.
- A three-way vote between the King, Baron, and Keeper shall be held.
- A simple majority may remove the Lord.
Article V: The Main Brethren Court Guild
- This Guild will serve as the Brethren Court’s main army, and will be run by the King; other guilds may be admitted at the King’s discretion, but this will be the central guild.
- The Guild will be named by the King after appropriate input from the current-sitting Lords.
- Lords must, in most cases, be put through the aforementioned due process before being kicked from the Guild, but non-lord members can be removed at the King’s discretion.
- Lords may be removed without due process if, at the time, they are performing actions which are deemed to be putting the Court in a "state of emergency."
Article VI: Declarations of War
- War may be declared on behalf of the Brethren Court in two ways:
- The Pirate King declares war on behalf of the Court.
- The Lords vote to declare a war on behalf of the Court
- If a vote to declare war is called by one of the Lords, it requires a simple majority to be put into motion; the Pirate King may veto it, but only if it is a simple majority (2/3rds majority cannot be vetoed by the King).
Article VII: General Voting
- Most day-to-day actions of the Court will not be put to a vote; however, the following actions must be put to a general vote among all Pirate Lords:
- Impeachment of the current-sitting Pirate King
- Removal of a new Pirate Lord (if brought up by a current-sitting Lord)
- The following actions may be done in another manner, but can be put to a vote provided a Pirate Lord calls for one:
- Declarations of war
- If the threshold needed for any vote to pass isn’t a whole number, it is always rounded up.
Article VIII: Amendments to the Code
- Amendments to any and all parts Pirate Code may be made at any time via a vote between the Pirate King, Baron of the Seven Seas, and Keeper of the Code.
- All amendments, inconsequential and major, must be made completely public to all members of the Brethren Court with no exceptions.
- Lords may petition that either the King, Baron, or Keeper of the Code review a request for an amendment at any time, though they are not obligated to follow through.
|The Outlanders||Pirate King Richard Cannonwalker|
|The Wolves||John Darksilver|
|Brothers of the Coast||
|The British Empire||
|Kingdom of Haven||
|Kingdom of Spain||
The Pirate Lords
Pirate King Richard Cannonwalker
Ahoy! I'm Richard Cannonwalker, the founder and King of this incarnation of the Brethren Court. I was also the King of the last Brethren Court before POTCO closed which makes me the first ever two-time Pirate King. I've been adventuring in the Caribbean since I was young, and I have had my share of adventures. I've taken treasures and weapons that were barely conceivable when I began my life of piracy and overcame some of the toughest obstacles imaginable.
I've been a pirate ever since about a month after POTCO was first released. I've lead many guilds, a few of which were maxed at one point or another. By the time POTCO closed, I was leading a guild called "The Outlanders", which served as the main guild for the 8th Brethren court.
My reign as Pirate King in the 8th Brethren Court was lackluster, but I plan on correcting that this time around. For too long pirates have been considered weak and dovish, but I plan on radically changing that image. No obstacle is too hard for us to conquer, and no enemy is too difficult for us to defeat. Together, this Court will strike fear into the hearts of all who dare challenge us.
Pirate Lord Jeremiah Garland
Jeremiah Garland was born the son of a wealthy British merchant in St Albans, England. Following in his father's footsteps, he took up a job in the British East India Company, first as a lowly ship-hand and clerk then as a corporal in the Company's sizeable military. One night whilst on guard duty at Fort Charles, Garland's rebellious tendencies got the better of him; deciding he had enough of life in the company, he began his career as a pirate after he snuck into the commandant's office, pilfered a folio of vital company documents, and escaped on board a stolen company ship. Evading capture from the Royal Navy, the rogue soldier-turned-pirate initially operated as a lone freelance plunderer, but soon found greater success operating in the crew of Captain Richard Cannonwalker. After the latter had proclaimed himself leader of the Republic of Padres Del Fuego, Garland too reestablished himself on the island, which had come to be a safe haven for piracy. After Cannonwalker stepped down, Garland found himself briefly in control of the island, but he too left after a failed attempt to prevent the island from falling into the hands of a massive British invasion in early 1746. Garland and Cannonwalker decided to part ways but kept a steady correspondence. Garland, as well as a few of his loyal followers, sought refuge in Russia, a country with which Garland had several connections. After arriving in St Petersburg later that year, Garland struck a deal with the Russian Court where the former and his crew would continue to prey on unknowing ship routes throughout Northern Europe; in return, the Russian government would turn a blind eye to Garland's piracy and even give him the island of Saaremaa to act as his base of operations. Garland, acting under the alias of a Prussian sea captain named "Klaus von Wroclai", has since wrecked havoc on European ports in the Baltic Sea, particularly those along the Swedish, Danish, and Polish coasts. On April 8, 1749, Garland was summoned back to the Caribbean by his old friend, Captain Cannonwalker, to take part in the 9th Brethren Court, representing the Baltic Sea as a Pirate Lord (and later the island of Port Royal).
Pirate Lord Zoomer
Real name Wolf, his colleagues have dubbed him "Zoomer" half out of respect of his amazing alacrity in combat and half out of not knowing what his real name actually is. Zoomer was born in late 1726 in the slums of Havana, Cuba, to a local lady of the evening and a Navy Cadet. After his father abandoned them when he was only about a week old, his mother attempted to drown him in the swamps of Cuba. He would survive, however, but only to become a child slave on a plantation.
It was there he met fellow outcasts Ben Badbane and Dog Dockdougal, who, along with Zoomer, would become a sort of family. During the night, the three were taught the ways of Voodoo by Tia Dalma and some basic combat techniques from passerby pirates who would pity them.
One day, the EITC burned down his plantation, and both of his friends would die - Ben beheaded and Dog burned to death - as children. The commander of the operation was Samuel, a known high-ranking EITC officer.
He managed to escape Cuba on stowaway to Padres Del Fuego, Samuel's home island. After tracking him down, Zoomer cornered the unassuming Samuel in Beckett's Quarry, and gutted him with his own knife. He would leave 10 gold pieces amidst Samuel's guts as his "condolences".
He became a petty thief by day, and hired assassin by night. Just about five years later, Richard Cannonwalker and Finn Hamm, leaders of the 9th court, would find him and see the crystal-clear latent potential just waiting to be tapped into in Zoomer. He was recruited into the 9th court as pirate lord at the age of 22.
Zoomer is a master of all weapons - from basic swords to ranged firearms - and the 9th court acknowledges this. He is a callous misanthrope who pledges unwavering allegiance to those he deems the strongest.
Pirate Lord John Foullegend
Pirate Lord Aaron
Pirate Lord Li
Pirate Lord Squidgallows
Born under the name Raphael Gallows, the man we now know as Squidgallows, was born in France, in the year 1709. He was raised by his Italian mother and a French father. Growing up, he did not have a lot of money. Often times, his father would steal food from the local bakery, just to feed his wife and child. This eventually led to his father being captured, and hanged for excessive theft.
This event changed young Raphael forever. He pledged to avenge his father, and bring riches to his poor mother. Unfortunately, this led him to become a thief, and fall under the same lifestyle as his father. However, unlike his father, Raphael did not get caught. Soon, he got cocky, and decided to leave his mother behind to join a pirate crew. Not much is known about this pirate crew that Raphael joined, but what is known, is terrible.
One day, when he was about 17, and sailing with this crew, he was caught sleeping with the captain's HOT daughter. When the captain found out about this from another crew member, he sentenced Raphael to be marooned on Isla Tormenta.
Once on the island, Raphael survived by eating squids, earning him the name Squidgallows. After he was rescued by the captain's daughter, she asked if they could marry. Squidgallows did not want to marry her, because he knew she would not be worth sleeping with for the rest of his life. He then killed her, stole her jewelry, and cut off her head as a trophy to hang in the captain's quarters. This event inspired him to name the ship the "Headhunter Hunter". He sailed his new ship to Port Royal, and sold the stolen jewelry in exchange for red and black striped sails. His new ship was complete.
Eventually, Lawrence Ironhawk and Richard Cannonwalker picked him up and recruited him to join the Outlanders, where he became Magistrate of Isla Tormenta. It is said that his first order of duty, was to find the body of his ex lover, and use her bones as extra support for the hull of his ship. This scared the other members of the Outlanders, and his reputation gained him the rank of Pirate Lord.
Bloody Mary's Fleet - Squidgallows
The Pieces of Eight
The Pieces of Eight are the items each Pirate Lord hold onto and present at Pirate Lord meetings to prove that they are a rightful Pirate Lord.
Note: Still in the process of getting pictures for the gallery
Magistrates are fearsome pirates voted in by the Pirate Lords to oversee specific islands on behalf of the Brethren Court. They ensure that the Pirate Code is being followed and that pirates have as much freedom on the island as is possible.
|Ile D'Etable De Porc||TBA|
|Isla De La Avaricia||TBA|
|Padres Del Fuego||TBA|
- The Clash for the Cursed Blades - An ongoing series of RP events pitting the Brethren Court against the Kingdom of Spain over El Patron's Cursed Weapons.